Senior GIS Officer - Local Government
Osborne Richardson are delighted to be accepting applications from Senior GIS Officers on be half of our Local Government client. This 3 month role is located in the beautiful Moonee Valley which is only a 25 minute drive out of Melbournes CBD.
To support the organisation by maximising the utilisation of Geographic Information System (GIS) applications by implementing, supporting, configuring and enhancing application functionalities through:
• Analysing complex data sets for the provision of spatial information and
• Providing expert advice on the appropriate collection, use, maintenance and
distribution of corporate spatial data,
• Developing and delivering initiatives for maintaining and enhancing Council’s
spatial technologies, and
• Assisting with the development of Council’s integrated corporate information
Key Responsibilities & Duties:
• Use spatial technologies and advanced data analysis techniques to derive spatial
information to enhance Council decision making and delivery of services.
• Assist GIS “power users” in undertaking complex spatial editing, analysis and map
creation, or to perform such tasks on behalf of various business units for internal
or external use.
• Support and/or lead the planning and delivery of GIS related data and technology
• Develop and deliver training in the use of Council’s enterprise and desktop GIS,
including the preparation of training notes and material.
• Responsible for the management and ongoing maintenance of Council’s GIS
• Develop and implement data standards, templates and system processes to
ensure that GIS data is maintained and managed correctly.
• Responsible for the administration, implementation, promotion, and ongoing
development of Council’s enterprise GIS.
• Consult with and provide specialist advice to Business Units in the analysis of
business and reporting requirements relevant to the implementation of GIS data,
technologies and system integration
• Assist with the resolution of GIS systems technical and development problems.
• Ensuring maintenance of corporate datasets in timely manner, including M1s, road
name changes, property boundaries using NES and other government channels.
• Maintaining relationships with external stakeholders including the State
Government, Water and other service authorities and maintain corporate datasets
and keep informed on key process changes.
• Maintain, enhance and review Council’s existing corporate spatial datasets
• Enhance and review Council’s existing corporate datasets, plus implement new
datasets as required/directed.
Key Selection Criteria:
• A relevant tertiary qualification related to Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
Information Technology (IT) Systems and/or relevant industry experience.
• Several years’ experience in the spatial information industry Experience
manipulating and analysing complex spatial data.
• Experience in the use of QGIS, ESRI ArcGIS or IntraMaps.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills and demonstrated ability to
provide professional GIS services to a variety of specialist disciplines.
• Good negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
• Experience in dealing with internal and external stakeholders and suppliers.
• Good understanding of database management systems.
• Ability to work both as a member of a team and in an unsupervised capacity.
• Strong communication skills, both written and oral.
• Demonstrated experience preparing correspondence including maps, data extracts
• Demonstrated experience in preparing and delivering presentation material to
both technical and non-technical staff in a cooperative and pleasant manner.
• Ability to drive projects to completion and deliver outcomes within deadlines.
• Ability to influence and liaise with all levels both internally and externally to
resolve relevant specialist matters or enhance related services.
• Ability to obtain the co-operation of others in order to meet set objectives within
agreed timelines and within resource and organisational constraints.
• Inspire, motivate and train staff to develop their GIS skills.
If this is something of interest to you or someone you know please don't hesitate in contacting Olivia on 0426 435 951 or firstname.lastname@example.org