Business Partner, Planning & Services Accountant
NSW - Newcastle
Osborne Richardson are delighted to, once again, be partnering with this Local Council in the Hunter Region of NSW. As well as being idyllically located, this Council can boast an exceptional culture and work-life balance for it's employees.
On this occasion, we are seeking a stand-out Accountant or Financial Management professional to join the Council as the Business Partner, Planning & Services Accountant. On offer is an initial 4 month contract which is almost certain to extend to 6 months at a minimum and likely longer.
In this key role, you will provide high-level financial advice and financial governance, building strong partnering relationships with key stakeholders, to provide maintenance of Councils services model including the attribution of costs to each service and the Accounting necessary to track Council’s allocation of resources to each service. In particular, your day-to-day duties will encompass:
• Building strong partnering relationships with key stakeholders in Business Units for which you have responsibility and become a trusted advisors to these managers. This will include:
- Assisting with alignment between operational plans(objectives) and budgets.
- Promoting ownership of and accountability for business unit budgets.
- Promoting the use of business cases for major financial decisions with governance over the key assumptions applied.
• Undertaking monthly and quarterly reviews between finance business partners and managers. This will include the review of the delivery against business objectives and action plans, review of changes to operational and capital budgets, analysis of progress of programs and projects against budget, and provide analysis of variances and their cause.
• Enhance and maintain Council’s cost allocation framework. Utilise Activity based Costing and other cost allocation methods (or proxies) as appropriate to ensure an appropriate balance between accuracy and consistency (equity) simplicity, ease of understanding, ease of maintenance and resource considerations.
• Collaboration with key stakeholders on the services framework and the appropriate level of analysis and reporting
• Determination of the P&L (and possibly balance sheet) associated with each service grouping (including the fees and charges received and ratepayer contributions required to maintain the service)
• Determine how service levels impact the economics of service provision and evaluate possible trade-offs
• Maintenance of General Ledger within Authority, and financial reporting software (BIS). Training of other staff in general ledger and BIS when required.
• Ensure Fees and Charges are revised in accordance with the Revenue Policy and consistent with Council’s Financial Sustainability objectives of areas of responsibility.
In such a key role, we are seeking applicants who are truly at the top of their game. Please review the following key skills and experience, which you will closely align to:
1. Degree qualifications in accounting, financial management or business management
2. Demonstrated experience in a similar position with demonstrated experience in the preparation of financial reports and audit liaison in a large multi-disciplined organisation.
3. Proven ability to develop, promote and implement reforms, systems and policies within a continuous improvement environment.
4. Demonstrated experience in managing and/or developing financial and related systems.
5. Demonstrated analytical and research skills including extraction, collation and analysis of information from reports and presentation in a concise and meaningful manner.
1. Membership of CPA Australia, Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia or the Institute of Public Accountants
2. Previous experience in a Finance Business Partnering role or equivalent
3. Previous local government experience.
4. Previous experience in training and mentoring staff.
5. Demonstrated experience with Microsoft query and Crystal Reports.
6. Experience undertaking accounting and financial management associated with the determination of the cost of service provision (based on service levels), pricing models and the allocation of costs to determine the full costing
If this opportunity sounds like something you would like to make your own, then feel free to contact Owen Millar on 0414 706 605 or email Owen@oraus.com.au.
Always happy to chat.